eDirectory FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Pre Sales Questions
- What is eDirectory?
- Who owns the data in my Directory?
- What does it mean when you say eDirectory is a hosted solution?
- Why would I care about a mobile optimization?
- How many listings can eDirectory handle?
- How much does eDirectory Cost?
- I need additional features that are not in the feature list. Can eDirectory be customized?
- So I ordered your product, what next?
- How do I contact Support?
- When is support available?
- What is Change Request?
- What do I do with Change Request?
- Who is Arca Solutions?
- I need to have some customizations done on my directory, how do I get these done?
- What are the requirements for eDirectory to work on my server?
- Does eDirectory Support ASP?
- Will eDirectory Work On A Windows Server (IIS)?
- I need to get a dedicated server, do you have any suggestions?
- What are the suggested hardware requirements of my server to make eDirectory work?
- Why Do I need to activate my Software?
- I need to do local development and need to activate localhost?
- Why is my import not working?
- How do I use commas during import?
- Can I export my directory Data?
- I am getting errors when trying to upload a photo, or create a gallery?
- Does eDirectory support other languages?
- Can I use multiple domain names with my directory?
- What are the icons on my listings?
- How do I remove the social network icons?
- Are there other social networks available to choose from?
- What is RSS?
- Does eDirectory have RSS?
- How do the banner modules work?
- I just got my directory setup, why do the search engines not see me?
- How do I submit my site to the various search engines?
- What is a sitemap?
- How can I print a copy of my directory?
- My directory contains highly valued information. How do I restrict access?
- How do I setup my email?
- What if I want to use (insert your email service) instead of eDirectory for mail?
- How can I access my email?
- How do I send and receive email?
- What e-mail protocols do you support?
- How Do I turn on SMTP Authentication?
- How do I do to check my transactions?
- What payment gateways does eDirectory support?
- What is the difference between a Payment Gateway & Merchant Account?
- What does eDirectory need to setup payments with my directory?
- I want to use (your payment gateway name), what do you need?
- What if my payment gateway is not supported?
- Does eDirectory support Recurring Billing?
- Are there any host that you suggest or discourage?
- What are the details of eDirectory hosting?
- How do I get a static IP address?
- What are the eDirectory DNS server addresses?
- I need full control panel access?
- How do I access my site via FTP?
- What are the server and details for FTP?
- What ftp program do I have to use?
- What happens if I need more storage?
- What happens if I need additional bandwidth?
- When are bandwidth and storage values calculated?
- When is my bandwidth or storage charges billed?
- Can I host NON-eDirectory sites with my hosting account?
- Will eDirectory host adult sites?
- Does eDirectory support outgoing file or media streaming?
- Do I need a SSL installed to use eDirectory?
- Does eDirectory supply a SSL certificate with hosting?
- How do I get a SSL certificate?
- What info is needed to issue a CSR?
- The SSL company is asking for the type of server eDirectory is using?
- Are there any SSL providers that eDirectory recommends?
- Why does my ssl not work for www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com (no www)?
- When will you bill my monthly service charges?
- How do I get an invoice or a receipt for my bills?
- How do I update my credit card or billing information with eDirectory?
- How do I cancel my hosting with you?
- I called and cancelled my service, why are you still charging me?
- How long does it take to the refunded amount show up in my credit card statements?
- If I cancel my service, what will happen to my data?
- I am getting a suspended message when I pull up my account?
- If I purchase the monthly service version (eDirectory as a Service) is there a discount if I want to upgrade to an Owned License at a later date?
What is eDirectory?
eDirectory software puts your directory database online with ease. It is a flexible application that can be customized for a directory of your choosing - organization membership directory, business directory, or any type of listing you can imagine. It supports multiple listing levels, and can search listings by any field, has a fully customizable interface so it seamlessly joins your existing site. Contact sales today to see how eDirectory will fit your needs.
Who owns the data in my Directory?
You do. Export your data any time.
What does it mean when you say eDirectory is a hosted solution?
We host your directory on our servers. You are free from the worries of hardware, software patches, and backups. Our servers are located in a secure data center with a direct connection to the internet, backup power generators, and regular data backups. Either we configure a sub domain for your directory such as http://directory.yourdomain.com, or we host your whole site on our servers. Either way provides a seamless link from the user's point of view.
Why would I care about a mobile optimization?
Your eDirectory software will allow users to be able to use directory services from any mobile device in an efficient manner. The pages are condensed to fit the size of mobile devices. Additionally, only the key information (business listing, location and contact information) is listed allowing for fast page loads. Try out the demo to see how the interface will look for your directory: demodirectory.com. This feature is included with any package.
How many listings can eDirectory handle?
eDirectory as a service, and owned licenses hosted with us on a shared server run well up to 500k listings. If you intend to run more listings or have significant traffic (more than a couple hundred thousand unique visitors per month), please contact us. eDirectory can scale to 10+million listings with the right server configuration, and we can help design a system that meets your needs.
How much does eDirectory Cost?
eDirectory is reasonably priced, however pricing depends on which modules are included. Please contact us today for a free price quote.
I need additional features that are not in the feature list. Can eDirectory be customized?
Absolutely. eDirectory is a flexible software framework designed for fast, low cost customization. Our development team has built numerous web applications and many of our clients use us for all their development needs.
So I ordered your product, what next?
First, thank you for your order. Here are the next steps to getting you started.
- 1. Within 1 Business Day you will receive an email with a setup checklist.
- 2. Upon receipt of your completed setup checklist we will schedule your installation. Installs will be completed within 3 business days of receipt of the completed checklist
- 3. Once installation is complete, you will receive an email with full details on DNS, Logins for Site Admin, and our Support Ticketing System.
How do I contact Support?
There are three options for getting in touch with our support:
- 1. Support Ticketing System (Preferred)
- 2. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 3. Phone: 703.914.0770
When is support available?
eDirectory support is available normal business hours (Monday-Friday) 8:00am to 5:00pm EST (-5 GST). Support is also closed all major USA holidays.
What is Change Request?
Change Request is another product like eDirectory that was developed by Arca Solutions.
What do I do with Change Request?
Change Request is the ticketing, and support system for all of Arca Solutions products. It allows you to communicate directly with your project manager, and our support teams. Change Request is the most reliable way to ensure that an email is not lost in the system.
Who is Arca Solutions?
Arca Solutions is a custom solutions provider whose products include eDirectory, ChangeRequest and other custom solutions.
I need to have some customizations done on my directory, how do I get these done?
We will be happy to make any changes that you need to your directory. If you need to add or remove functionality to your website please open a change request ticket with as many details as possible so we can assist you in completing the changes.
What are the requirements for eDirectory to work on my server?
eDirectory will run on Linux or Windows operating systems. See specific requirements for windows and linux below.
- Apache with mod-rewrite enabled
- PHP 5.2
- MySQL 5+
- Ability to setup at least 7 cron jobs
- GD 2+ Image libraries
- FTP & Control Panel
- PHP Safemode Disabled
- Openbase_dir Disabled
- cURL Enabled
Does eDirectory Support ASP?
At this time eDirectory is built using the LAMP protocol (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP). We are actively developing our software offerings though, and customers have asked for ASP support. At this time it is not available though.
Will eDirectory Work On A Windows Server (IIS)?
Currently only Windows servers running a PHP 5.2 / MySQL 5+ & Apache are supported (see requirements above). We are constantly reviewing our software and this may be something we employ in the future, but currently eDirectory will not run from within IIS.
I need to get a dedicated server, do you have any suggestions?
eDirectory cannot suggest one server company over another. Please click here for a write up on questions to ask when getting a dedicated server.
What are the suggested hardware requirements of my server to make eDirectory work?
eDirectory does not have a specific hardware requirement, only software requirements. We have installed our software on shared and dedicated hosting environments.
Why do I need To activate my Software?
There are a couple of reasons that you may need to reactivate the software.
- 1. New domain name
- 2. Accessing the project via the IP and not the domain name
- 3. Making changes to certain configuration files
If you get the activation screen please open a Support Ticket, and your software will be reactivated.
I need to do local development and need to activate localhost?
You may install, and develop on any location you choose. For licensing purposes we are not able to provide a license or activation code for the following locations:
This will not affect the function of the site, or effect the ability to modify the code.
Why is my import not working?
There can be many reasons why an import can have problems. Please ensure that you have followed ALL the specifications in the sitemgr. Some of the more common reasons are:
- 1. Commas in fields
- 2. The program you are using to edit the sample, is not inserting commas between fields
- 3. The program you are using to edit the sample, is not saving the field seperator with a comma
- 4. Addition or removal of fields from the sample
- 5. Using another file format aside from a .csv file
If you are having a problem with your import, please open a support ticket and we can assist you.
How do I use commas during import?
It is possible to use a comma (,) in a CSV (comma seperated value) file. You must include the field in a quote (" ")
- Ex 1. eDirectory Inc = Good
- Ex 2. "eDirectory, Inc" = Good
- Ex 3. eDirectory, Inc = Bad
Can I export my directory Data?
Absolutely - It's your data so export it any time you wish. You can export the data any time you wish to XML or Microsoft Excel from the eDirectory site manager.
I am getting errors when trying to upload a photo, or create a gallery?
This is usually caused by the /upload folder and/or the sub folder to full writeable (777 permissions).
Does eDirectory support other languages?
Can I use multiple domain names with my directory?
Yes (additional customizations costs will apply).
What are the icons on my listings?
The icons on the listings are social networks that have been selected by eDirectory. These can allow users to automatically link your listings to their social networks.
How do I remove the social network icons?
Please open a Support Ticket and we can have this removed for you.
Are there other social networks available to choose from?
At this time we only have the networks listed. If you know of a network that you would like to have added please contact us.
What is RSS?
RSS = Really Simple Syndication RSS is a way to allow people to keep track of changes to your site automatically.
Does eDirectory have RSS?
Your directory will have the various categories automatically setup with an RSS feed. This will allow a person to get notification anytime a change (add/delete etc) to the category they would like to watch.
How do the banner modules work?
The banner module can seem difficult to understand at first. Please click here to download a document that should explain the banner module in your directory.
If you have further questions please feel free to contact us.
I just got my directory setup, why do the search engines not see me?
eDirectory does not submit your directory to the search engines for you.
How do I submit my site to the various search engines?
There are both paid and free solutions for submitting your site to the various search engines. All the search engines provide a free way of doing this. Here are a couple of the search engines free submission URLs:
- Google: http://www.google.com/addurl/
- Yahoo: https://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/
- MSN/Live: http://search.msn.com.sg/docs/submit.aspx
What is a sitemap?
A sitemap is a index of all pages on your directory. A sitemap "may" assist in search engines finding pages on your site that normal indexing may not be able to.
How can I print a copy of my directory?
With eDirectory's PDF module you can export your directory into PDF format for printing. We'll customize the design and format for you, and you can export and print any time you wish. We also work with a print shop and can handle all your directory printing needs. Please contact us today for more information.
My directory contains highly valued information. How do I restrict access?
With our user management features you can have individual user accounts and password protect your directory. This allows you to charge subscription fees for access to the directory. Please open a Support Ticket for assistance in getting this customization placed into your directory.
How do I setup my email?
All hosting accounts with eDirectory allow up to 20 email accounts. Please open a Support Ticket with the email addresses you would like to have setup and we will assist you.
What if I want to use (insert your email service) instead of eDirectory for mail?
We will be happy to configure your hosting account to redirect mail to another provider. Please open a Support Ticket and supply us with the MX records of your alternative provider.
How can I access my email?
All accounts hosted with eDirectory will have access to webmail, and email via a mail program such as Outlook, Thunderbird etc.
How do I send and receive email?
- Mail Program (like outlook, thunderbird etc):
- Incoming Mail Server: mail.yourdomain
- Outgoing Mail Server: mail.yourdomain (server requires authentication) port 25
- Webmail: http://yourdomain/webmail
- Username: youremail@yourdomain
- Password: will be supplied to you (please change immediately via webmail)
What e-mail protocols do you support?
eDirectory hosting supports the following email protocols:
- Pop3 (secure & insecure)
- IMAP (secure & insecure)
How Do I turn on SMTP Authentication?
- On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
- Select View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
- Select the name of the e-mail account, and then click Change.
- Click More Settings.
- On the Outgoing Server tab, verify that the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication check box is selected.
See: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011105491033.aspx for more help.
In Outlook Express:
- From the Tools menu select Accounts. This will bring up the Accounts window
- Select the email account you wish to enable SMTP authentication for and click on the Properties button
- Click the Servers Tab
- Select the My server requires authentication checkbox
- Click the Settings button
- Ensure that the Logon Information is set to Use same settings as my incoming mail server
- Click OK for all windows that are currently open
- Go to "Tools -> Account Settings -> Outgoing Server (SMTP)".
- Select the server and press the Edit... button.
- Check the "Use name and password" option.
- Add your username.
- Click "OK".
In Apple Mail:
- From the Mail menu choose Preferences
- On the lower right corner of the window, click on Server Settings... (under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)). If this option is not visible, make sure you have the correct mail account selected, and that the Accounts and Account Information tabs are selected.
- Pull down the Authentication menu and select Password.
- Enter your username and password.
- Click OK.
How do I do to check my transactions?
- 1. Log in at: http://edirectory.changerequest.com/
- 2. Go to "Billing"
- 3. Click on "Transaction and Billing History"
What payment gateways does eDirectory support?
We have pre-configured the following gateways.
- Paypal Standard
- PayPal Direct Payment API**
- Verisign Payflow
What is the difference between a Payment Gateway & Merchant Account?
Many people confuse these terms, and hopefully we can assist you in understanding this.
Payment Gateway is defined by WikiPedia as:
A payment gateway facilitates the transfer of information between a payment portal (such as a website or IVR service) and the Front End Processor or acquiring bank.
So this would mean that it is the system, that interacts with the website, and the credit card companies.
Examples of payment gateways would be: Authorize.net, PSIgate, Linkpoint, Paypal etc.
Merchant Account is defined by Wikipedia as:
A merchant account is a contract under which an acquiring bank extends a line of credit to a merchant, who wishes to accept payment card transactions of a particular card association brand. Without such a contract, one cannot accept payments by any of the major credit card brands.
Examples of a merchant account would be: Your Local Bank, A dedicated Merchant Banking account.
What does eDirectory need to setup payments with my directory?
eDirectory would need to know your payment gateway details only. We do not need to know any of your merchant account information.
If you have questions about what a payment gateway, or merchant account are please click here.
I want to use (your payment gateway name), what do you need?
Each payment gateway is different and so they requires different information. Here is a list of what is needed for each gateway that eDirectory has pre-configured to work:
- Paypal standard: email address associated with the paypal account
- PayPal Direct Payment API: API username, API password, API signature
- Authorize.net: API (login), Transaction Key
- PSIgate: storeid, passphrase
- Verisign Payflow: login, partner id
- 2Checkout: login
- Worldpay: instid
- iTransact: vendorid
- Linkpoint: configfile, keyfile
What if my payment gateway is not supported?
eDirectory can customize your directory to work with almost any payment gateway. If your gateway is not listed, please open a Support Ticket, or contact our sales team for a quote on integrating the payment gateway of your choice.
Does eDirectory Support Recurring Billing?
Recurring Billing can be setup, but the options available to you are limited to the payment gateway that you choose. If you choose a gateway that supports only yearly recurring, then we cannot set the system to do monthly recurring and vice versa.
Example: Payment Gateway "X" only supports monthly recurring, so we cannot set it up for a yearly option.
If you would like to change your billing cycle please contact your Project Manager or open a ticket at ChangeRequest.com
Are there any host that you suggest or discourage?
eDirectory does not specifically endorse or prefer any provider over another. Here is a list of hosts that clients have used in the past, and a couple of known hosts that we have seen problems with.
- Known To Work:
- Mosso (customers have reported performance issues)
What are the details of eDirectory hosting?
eDirectory hosting provides the following:
- 300MB of storage space
- 1000MB of transfer (bandwidth)
- 1 MySQL Database
- 20 Email Addresses
- Limited FTP access (by request only)
How do I get a static IP address?
eDirectory hosting automatically includes a static IP address.
What are the eDirectory DNS server addresses?
ns20.arcasolutions.com and ns30.arcasolutions.com and ns40.arcasolutions.com
I need full control panel access?
eDirectory hosting does not include cpanel access. If you need to access cpanel, please open a Support Ticket and we can review your request. eDirectory reserves the right to refuse cpanel access to users.
How do I access my site via FTP?
FTP Access must be enabled on your account first. Please open a Support Ticket asking for access.
What are the server and details for FTP?
- Server: ftp.yourdomain
- Server UN: (will be supplied to you)
- Server PW: (will be supplied to you)
What ftp program do I have to use?
eDirectory does not require a specific program to be used. Here is a list of common applications that you can use.
- Windows: Filezilla, CuteFTP, CoreFTP
- MAC: Cyberduck, Transit, Yummy
- Linux: Filezilla, Command Line
What happens if I need more storage?
eDirectory will automatically adjust your storage space based on the amount you are using. For each 500MB of additional storage space (allocated in 500MB blocks) there is a $3.00 per month charge.
What happens if I need additional bandwidth?
eDirectory will automatically adjust your bandwidth based on your usage. For each additional 500MB of bandwidth (allocated in 1000MB blocks) used there is a $5.00 per month charge.
When are bandwidth and storage values calculated?
All bandwidth and storage resets at 12:00am EST on the 1st of each month. All bandwidth and storage figures are calculated from 12:00am EST on the 1st until 11:59pm EST on the last day of the month.
When is my bandwidth or storage charges billed?
eDirectory will bill you the following month for overage charges for the previous month.
Can I host NON-eDirectory sites with my hosting account?
eDirectory hosting is intended only for hosting your eDirectory website.
Will eDirectory host adult sites?
eDirectory does not host any adult sites on our servers.
Does eDirectory support file or media streaming?
Our servers are optimized for the display of the eDirectory product only. While it is possible to stream media from our servers, we do not support this form of hosting, or usage.
Do I need a SSL installed to use eDirectory?
eDirectory does not require a SSL certificate to work. You may choose to have a SSL installed to secure certain items on your website such as signups, payments, member information etc. Also some payment gateways may require a SSL be installed.
Does eDirectory supply a SSL certificate with hosting?
eDirectory does NOT supply a SSL certificate with any of our hosting accounts. We will be happy to issue a CSR that you can use to purchase a SSL certificate from any provider you choose. There is a charge of $42.00 to install, and configure the SSL certificate.
How do I get a SSL certificate?
Obtaining a SSL is a fairly straight forward process. Here are the common steps.
- 1. Fill out CSR questionaire from eDirectory
- 2. Take CSR from eDirectory to SSL provider to purchase your SSL
- 3. Return CRT and CA Bundle form SSL provider to eDirectory for installation
What info is needed to issue a CSR?
- Host to make cert for:
- Country (2 letter abbreviation):
- Company Name:
- Company Division:
The SSL company is asking for the type of server eDirectory is using?
Some provider need to know the type of server and control panel used to issue the CSR so they can issue the proper SSL certificate.
- eDirectory uses:
- Apache 2.x with mod_ssl
Are there any SSL providers that eDirectory recommends?
eDirectory does not specifically endorse any certain provider. We have installed certificates from the following providers:
Why does my ssl not work for www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com (no www)?
A. SSL certificates are issued for the exact url. Most modern hosting companies allow both the WWW and NON-WWW to display the same url, but SSL certificates cannot. If you would like to have a SSL for both, you will need to purchase a SSL certificate for both versions.
When will you bill my monthly service charges?
eDirectory will bill your account once per month on the 1st or 15th depending on when you ordered.
How do I get an invoice or a receipt for my bills?
- 1. Log in at: http://edirectory.changerequest.com/
- 2. Go to "Billing"
- 3. Click on "Transaction and Billing History"
- 4. Click on the invoice #
- 5. It will generate and download a printable version for you
How do I update my credit card or billing information with eDirectory?
- 1. Log in at: http://edirectory.changerequest.com/
- 2. Go to "Billing"
- 3. Click on "Transaction and Billing History"
- 4. Identify the correct invoice/subscription
- 5. Click on "Edit"
- 6. Enter your new credit card information
How do I cancel my hosting with you?
In order to cancel your hosting with us, you will need to open a Support Ticket, upon which your request will be processed through our Billing Department.
*Note all cancellations require advance notice of 15 days prior to the next billing cycle. and All outstanding or pending invoices must be paid before the cancellation.
I called and cancelled my service, why are you still charging me?
We apologize for any error in billing. Sometimes we depend on 3rd party that take few days to reflect the change. In any event, all amount billed improperly will be refund within 2 business days after you notify us about the problem.
How long does it take to the refunded amount show up in my credit card statements?
This varies by different credit card companies, but based on our experience it may take up to 10 business days after the refund has been issued.
If I cancel my service, what will happen to my data?
When you cancel your service we delete your hosting account, including any and all data related to your account. We cannot retrieve any data for you once your account is canceled.
I am getting a suspended message when I pull up my account?
There are a couple of reasons that this may happen.
- Unpaid Hosting Services
- Exceeding Your Alloted Bandwidth
- Exceeding Your Alloted Storage
- Canceling Your Account
Please open a Support Ticket so we can resolve the problem quickly.
If I purchase the monthly service version is there a discount if I want to upgrade to an Owned License at a later date?
Contact our sales team to more info email@example.com.
** PayPal Direct API only support US Payments by default