Since categories have the potential to be quite large, you can also create a hierarchy of categories. This is done by the use of sub-categories. A sub-category is a subdivision that has common differentiating characteristics within a larger category. Creating sub-categories helps the Site Manager break down the main categories and make it easier for site visitors to search for items.
In the “Beauty and Fitness” category, you might want to have separate, subordinate categories for Beauty Salons, Gyms, Massage, and Spas.
Listing categories can have up to 5 hierarchy levels while event, classified and article categories are allowed to have up to 2 only.
In eDirectory version 7.3.00, all modules can have up to 5 levels. What’s even more amazing about this feature is that site visitors browsing by a main category can now see the hierarchy of categories through this Browse by Category block added in the results pages. This block, like that of the Google map, can be hidden or shown instantly.
To create a sub-category, do the following:
- In the left navigation panel, click on the Categories menu. After doing this, a page will appear like the one shown below:
- Click on any sub-menu on the top of this page (e.g., Event Categories, Classified Categories).
- Click on the icon of the category where you want to add the sub-category.
- In the Category Information area (image shown below), do the following:
- In the Title box, type the name of the sub-category that you want to add.
- In the Keywords for the search textarea, type the keywords with which the sub-category will be indexed for a search. Add one keyword/keyword phrase per line.
- Click on the Submit button.