Listing Templates are one of the most important features of online directories. On this Webinar with our CEO James Chubb, learn how to create rich listings that give your directory a differential in an era of commoditized data.
We’re proud to announce our newest release, eDirectory v13. This platform upgrade brings the exclusive Listing Template Editor: a game-changer on the way you build online directories. The listing template feature allows you to create customized listing pages for different use cases, like jobs, people, restaurants, whatever you can imagine. eDirectory is now more flexible and with improved usability for site owners, advertisers, and end-users.
What’s new on eDirectory v13?
The new Listing Template Editor replaces the previous Listing Type feature. In the past versions, you were able to create any custom field you want to match the needs of the categories of your listing. With v13 you are now able to not only add those fields but also to edit the design of the listing detail page, using the same widget-based logic already present in the v12. Drag and drop the elements to design exclusive pages. Besides this major new feature, we improved the design and usability of the back-end. With an optimized layout, this area had several elements reorganized and redesigned to improve its user experience, in addition to facilitating its actions and access to certain resources.
Tabs, Sidebar, and Widgets
You can choose from 26 different widgets to create listing detail pages with one column or with a column plus a sidebar. You can now create unlimited tabs to display the content of your listings but if you prefer having a single tab you can, it’s up to you to determine the look-and-feel of your pages with ease, and no code-knowledge required. Use the widgets to create unlimited custom fields. After creating the custom fields, configure the Levels & Prices section to select which plan will display these fields.
For the search results page, you can choose one among eleven options of cards for summary views when creating a Listing Template. These cards were designed to meet different proposals and different needs.
Easily associate other listings to one specific page. For example, if you are listing a Medical Clinic and want to highlight its professional’s profiles, with a few clicks, you can add the Linked Listings Widget on the page and display these profiles in an associated way.
This is a great way to keep your users exploring your content and spend more time on your site. Simply add the Related Listings widget on the template and customize the rules to display rich content.
Easily place a button on the listing detail page, customizing its label and destination URL. You can create a “Buy Now”, “Book appointment” that goes to an external shopping cart or booking system. Create whatever call-to-action you need for your advertisers.
For those who target just one location, we added the ability to the site manager to disable completely the usage of locations in the system, this will also remove the field “where” from the search boxes.
Upgrade Plan button for advertisers
A new upgrade button has been added to promote free and lower level listings to upgrade to more lucrative paid plans. Now advertisers will see a handy upgrade button to stimulate plan upgrades. This generates a new lead for the site owner to follow up and close the sale. Also, for the lower listings levels, we updated the Listing form to display fields that are not available for the listing level with a lock message, motivating advertisers to consider an upgrade of their plan.
Stripe subscription cancellation
Many payment gateways do not allow subscription cancellations other than directly through the gateway system. Stripe enabled this option and now advertisers can easily cancel their subscriptions within the Advertiser Dashboard.
Our customers in or targeting European countries can take advantage of this improvement. We added the ability for the site manager to enable the requirement for explicit consent for end-users to store their personal data, improving eDirectory’s GDPR compliance. Because of that, forms no longer checks the “Sign up to our newsletter” by default.
More news from eDirectory v13!
Ability to add multiple banners on the listing page.
Ability to remove the pricing completely for all listings associated with a specific template.
Categories management completely redesigned for better user experience.
Added a shortcut for the site owner to go directly to the listing edit form when visiting a listing page on the frontend.
Claims section moved from the Listings section to the Activity sections on the site manager dashboard.
Preview page on the advertise widgets updated to offer the ability for users to preview listings from different templates.
Added captcha on the widget “Lead gen form” to block spam leads.
Site owners can now check information about their license and eDirectory versions through the “About” pop up.
Claim sign up page changed to show the registration form first, instead of the login form.
Label “Friendly URL” and “Page name” updated to “URL Slug”.
Webp image format applied to Call to action and Newsletter background images.
Log in and sign up forms updated to include the attribute “required” on the mandatory fields.
Button “Read more” removed from the listing page. The listing description is now displayed below the listing main image.
Read the full list of enhancements of eDirectory v13 here.
Upgrade to the latest version of eDirectory today!
For new clients looking to launch their online Enterprise with all you see here and much more, please request a demo here, call us directly at +1-800-630-4694, or send an email to sales@eDirectory.com.
We released the Instant Messaging Plugin that allows site owners and advertisers to use Telegram, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger directly on the website.
Instant messaging provides real-time communication between visitors and listing owners, allowing them to make immediate sales contacts.
Site owners will be able to add a messenger floating button to the site, choosing one from the three options allowed. The other messaging platforms can be displayed on the header, footer and Contact Us page as clickable elements.
For advertisers, the messaging apps clickable items will be displayed below the phone number on the listing detail page.
Contact us today, add this Plugin to your directory, and get connected with your audience!
Benefits of using IM in your directory site
These apps provide instant communication. In addition to text messages, users can exchange multimedia messages, such as photos, videos, documents, or sound.
Instant Messaging is applicable to both B2B and B2C businesses. It is important to choose the right platform and explore what it has to offer.
Compared to digital marketing and social media, mobile messaging has much more engagement and return on investment in marketing.
Instant Messaging apps around the world
Different applications are popular in different countries, and so your choice of apps must take this into consideration:
WhatsApp is a world leader and is used in 104 countries. It is popular in Brazil, Mexico, India, Russia and in many countries of Europe, Africa, America, and Asia.
For US markets, the most used applications are Messenger and WhatsApp.
Facebook Messenger is used in 64 countries, notably Australia, Canada, and the United States.
Telegram and other messaging applications that are very popular in China, Japan, and Iran.
In Europe, however, the leaders are WhatsApp and Messenger. Asia and specifically in China, most users use WhatsApp and Telegram. In Africa, most people communicate via Messenger, WhatsApp, and Telegram.
Be sure to keep track of client preferences and their needs, which can change over time. Instant Messaging is a great development, satisfying the demands for speed, practicality, and real connectedness.
We’re proud to announce our newest release, eDirectory v12. This platform upgrade brings a major design change and several new features. Our goal is to keep improving the experience for users, advertisers and site owners.
What’s new on eDirectory v12?
From a quick sneak-peak in our eDirectory Demo site, you can feel it right away the new look of the site. Transparent navigation menu, the full-width image on sliders, fluid elements and more.
Here’s the list of all the improvements:
1. Frontend layout completely redesigned for all available themes
2. New widgets
List of featured categories with only text
List of featured categories with icons instead of bigger images
List of featured categories in just one horizontal line
Social network bar
Contact information bar
Call to action
Slider without search box
Three new types of cards widgets available for all modules
Section header / Page title
3. The ability of the site manager to choose the background color of the main widgets between three options (white, neutral or brand color)
4. The ability of the site manager to customize the look & feel of all the four header widgets, including:
Enable sticky menu
Change the background color
Display the navigation on top of a background image (option available when the header widget is followed by a slider or call to action widget)
5. The ability of the site manager to enable banners on the browse by categories and locations widgets
6. The ability of the site manager to remove the number of active items on the Browse by categories and Browse by Location widgets
7. Results widgets unified in just one widget, with options to enable list view, grid view or both
8. Better display and navigation on widget video gallery
9. Widgets Search box with Slider and Search box without Slider unified in just one widget
10. Widgets Lead gen with Slider and Lead gen without Slider unified in just one widget
11. Widget Search box with Slider rehashed to allow the site manager to create different slides sets, for different pages
12. The ability for the site manager to change the position of the content (left, center, right) on some widgets like Search box with Slider, Call to action, Newsletter, among others
13. Colors & Fonts section rehashed to offer more flexibility, including:
Nine colors available for customization
More than 900 fonts from Google fonts available
Ability to change the font size
Ability to customize the border style for images, cards, inputs, and buttons
14. Integration with Unsplash, a beautiful, free photos service. Available for cover images, slides and background images for the main widgets
15. Field features from listings rehashed to offer the ability for users to choose icons to each feature/amenity
16. Field opening hours from listings rehashed to offer the ability for users to select each day and time, instead of the text field, allowing visitors to see more accurate information like “Open now” on the frontend
17. Field fax from listings module replaced by a customizable field where the user can define the label of the phone number (i.e, fax, WhatsApp, office, home…)
18. The ability for users to upload a logo image to their listings. The logo image can be enabled for specific levels by the site manager using the Manage Levels & Pricing section
19. The ability for the site manager upload icons to featured categories (icons will be displayed on the new widget Featured Categories with icons)
20. Google maps icons updated to use the same color as the site main color
Read the full list of enhancements of eDirectory v12 here.
Upgrade to the latest version of eDirectory today!
For new clients looking to launch their online Enterprise with all you see here and much more, please request a demo here, call us directly at +1-800-630-4694, or send an email to sales@eDirectory.com.
eDirectory v11.5, released in early November 2018, is our most recent platform upgrade, filled with great new features and some performance improvements.
What’s new on eDirectory v11.5?
This release brings 15 new front-end and back-end items as it follows:
1. New fully customizable Cards widgets available for all themes.
Previous widgets such as “Featured listings”, “Popular events”, among others, were replaced by cards widgets.
Each widget can be fully customized, including:
Ability to change the widget title and the label of the “view more” link;
Ability to select the module that will be displayed on the widget;
Show items from a specific level, categories or location;
Ability to choose the order criteria;
Ability to pick items individually.
Layout for the widget “5 featured listings” updated and available for all modules.
Define the content and display rules for your new widget…
… or handpick the items you want to be featured in your new widget!
2. New widget “Video Gallery” available for all themes.
3. Two new lead generation forms widgets available for all themes.
a. Lead form with static background image
b. Lead form with background slider
4. New layout for the article detail widget, including the ability to upload the author image and description available for all themes. See an example here.
5. New layout for the blog detail widget available for all themes.
6. New widget “Recent Articles in two columns” for the Article home page.
7. New widget “2 columns recent posts” for the Blog home page.
8. Added ability for the site manager change the labels of each location level.
9. New interface to manage the navigation menus and links for slides, including easier flow to link menus to custom pages, internal or external URLs.
10. Added new field to include a summary description for videos on the listings, events and classifieds form.
11. The layout of the Default theme rehashed to standardize spacings, margins and navigation structure, including the responsive version.
12. Added ability for the site manager to change the placeholders of the search box widgets.
13. Support to PHP 7.1.
14. New Gulp file to manage, compile and minimize less/sass files on development mode.
15. New layout for the “site unavailable” screen.
Other changes on eDirectory v11.5
Structured markup data on articles and blog detail pages updated to include the tags author and publisher
Facebook moderation tool updated to allow the site manager to moderate Facebook comments directly from the directory
Form to submit new reviews simplified when the user is already logged in
PHPMailer fully replaced by SwiftMailer
Read the full list of 100+ enhancements of eDirectory v11.5here.
Upgrade to the latest version of eDirectory today!
For active clients looking to take advantage of the latest and greatest eDirectory.com has to offer, simply fill out theUpgrade request form found hereor contact your account executive.
For new clients looking to launch their online Enterprise with all you see here and much more, pleaserequest a demo here, or call us directly at +1-800-630-4694, or send an email to sales@eDirectory.com.
The General Data Protection Act (GDPR) is considered to be the most significant piece of European data protection legislation to be introduced in the European Union (EU) in 20 years and will replace the 1995 Data Protection Directive. The GDPR enhances EU individuals’ privacy rights and places significantly enhanced obligations on organizations handling data.
The new regulation goes into effect on May 25, 2018.
The GDPR regulates the processing of a data subject’s personal data in the European Union including its collection, storage and transfer or use. The GDPR gives data subjects more rights and control over their data by regulating how you should handle and store any personal data they collect.
Every website that collects, stores and handle European citizen’s data will have to comply. But what does that mean?
As every online directory is unique, there’s not a standard template to copy. Besides the information you already have there, the privacy notice should address the following to sufficiently inform the data subject:
Who is collecting the data?
What data is being collected?
What is the legal basis for processing the data?
Will the data be shared with any third parties?
How will the information be used?
How long will the data be stored for?
What rights does the data subject have?
How can the data subject raise a complaint?
The best tools we find to help our users are Terms Feed and Iubenda. The final text will depend on how many tools you have installed in your site like Google Analytics, CRMs, Facebook Pixels, Hotjar, LiveChat, etc.
Data Controller and Data Processor
A Data Controller represents the entity that determines the purposes, conditions and means of the processing of personal data: the Directory owner (you)
If you host your online directory with us so we are the Data Processor. If you host anywhere else, your or the hosting provider is your Data Processor.
How to place a cookie consent disclaimer in my online directory?
One way is to use paid tools like OneTrust.com, Cookiebot.com and others. But there are open source options like Cookie Consent by Insites and Silktide. Just place their scripts using Google Tag Manager.
To learn how to install the Cookie Consent Disclaimer by Insites, read this article here.
Alternatively, you can embed one of the numerous 3rd party widgets, or if you have the owned license you can develop custom code.
eDirectory is the most complete directory script out there, fully-featured from top to bottom, beautifully designed and ready to generate a recurring revenue stream.
And what makes eDirectory the best business directory script?
In a few words, the complete package!
eDirectory is built using technology platforms that powers many of the largest sites on the internet. In addition to the core technology, we have optimized our code and configurations for speed and reliability.
The eDirectory setup is fast and easy. You can import listing data from a spreadsheet, and click to edit navigation and other site layout items via the widget based page editor. Launch your site in minutes and manage your content with ease.
All versions comes with the following modules: Listings, Deals, Classifieds, Articles, Events, Blog and Banners. It also comes with User Profile, Advertiser Dashboard, 10+ Payment Gateways to make it easier to monetize your online directory.
Built with SEO in mind, you can focus on content, and rest assured your site will rank well in the SERPs.
Perfect for begginers. Fantastic for experienced developers!
eDirectory has an intuitive interface to help our customers to create and manage their directory websites with ease, taking advantage of our Cloud subscriptions: don’t worry about installation and hosting, we’ve got you covered.
Skilled developers have the option to self-host our directory script accessing the source code to perform any modification in design and features.
What you can build with eDirectory in just a few clicks:
Lead-gen directory websites
Local, National and International Business Directories
Our best release ever: Meet eDirectory Software v11.3!
What’s New in eDirectory v11.3
1. New import tool
Support for Excel files
Flexible template with columns matching functionality
CSV separator selection
Support to import up to 20 categories per listing
Improved help messages
2. New buttons added to HTML editor to allow users to change the font, size, and colors of custom contents
3. Widget Featured Categories enabled for themes Default, Wedding, and Restaurant
4. Widget Recent Articles enabled for themes Default, Wedding, and Restaurant
5. Widget Browse by Category and Location plus Square Banner enabled for themes Default, Wedding, and Restaurant
6. Widget Recent Reviews enabled for themes Default, Wedding, and Restaurant
7. Widget 5-featured listings enabled for themes Default, Wedding, and Doctor
8. Widget Browse by Locations plus Square Banners enabled for themes Default, Wedding, and Doctor
9. Widget Popular deals plus Wide Skyscraper banner enabled for themes Default, Wedding, and Doctor
10. Widget 5-Recent Articles enabled for themes Default, Wedding, and Doctor
11. Widget 6-Featured Listings + 2 Square Banners enabled for themes Default, Restaurant, and Doctor
12. Widget Recent posts enabled for themes Default, Restaurant, and Doctor
13. Added option for site manager to edit the background image of the following widgets
Search Box Blog Detail
Sign up Text
Search Box for Reviews page
Search Box Module Detail
14. Added option to replicate changes to other pages on the widget “Events Calendar”
15. Added ability for site manager to change the content of invoices header and footer
Read the full list of +130 enhancements of v11.3 here.
For active clients looking to take advantage of the latest and greatest eDirectory.com has to offer, simply fill out the Upgrade request form found here or contact your account executive.
For new clients looking to launch their online Enterprise with all you see here and much more, please request a demo here, or call us directly at +1-800-630-4694, or send an email to Sales@eDirectory.com.
Jun 2018 quick heads up: We are back with our integrated iOS app builder!! Now you can build both iOS and Android Directory Apps, but we're not able to provide the App Previewer due to Apple restrictions.
In June 2017, Apple added the Rule 4.2.6 in its publishing guidelines for the App Store. The claimed purpose at that time was to clean-up the store, removing clone apps, spam apps and all other applications that were trying to mislead the App Store user.
Here’s the Rule 4.2.6: “Apps created from a commercialized template or app generation service will be rejected”, see the full Guideline here.
This rule doesn’t affect only eDirectory apps (both eDirectory App and App Previewer). All companies in the same industry around the world were directly affected.
Since then, we’ve been working and testing options to keep offering iOS apps to our customers. For us, November was the month when app rejections really started happening so we’ve taken some measures to protect our customers, reflecting the Rule 4.2.6:
New iOS apps for eDirectory will be custom made.
We stopped standard compilations for iOS. Users are no longer able to retrieve an .ipa file to submit a new app
We updated all mentions about iOS app builder in our commercial offers
We removed the eDirectory App Previewer from the App store
Apple insists that there will be no exception to the application of Rule 4.2.6. If they flex their rules this feature can be fully re-integrate into eDirectory platform. Apps published before this rule will continue to work normally unless there is a new intervention from Apple. Updates of existing apps are still being accepted by App Store.
It is important to point out that Android operating smartphones are more than 90% of the market so we believe that these temporary changes will have little impact to the end users and to our customer’s business.
Technical questions can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our sales team at email@example.com.
How to create a directory website: essential tips to launch a successful directory
To create a directory website, follow these:
Choose the type of directory you will launch.
Sign up any eDirectory plan
Define your Top Level and Sub-Level Categories
Create your Membership Levels or Pricing Plan options
Create or import your first listings
Create quality content
Optimize and publicize
Include new features
1. Choose the type of directory you will launch.
The great thing is, a directory website can be launched for almost any industry or purpose with an opportunity for members to add all kinds of great content like videos, articles, special deals, and photo galleries. There are several types of online directories that you can choose to create. The most common ones are local business directories, professional service provider directories, and membership directories or association websites. To make it easier, you can start in the area that you have the most experience in or the location where you are residing. For example, if your city does not have a strong local business or tourism guide, you have a good opportunity to create an online community that generates recurring revenue. If you are a special service provider, you can create a directory for your industry, starting with you and your colleagues and ultimately making some money from your competitors while featuring your business at the same time. Or perhaps choose an interest or topic that you are passionate about and create a national or international directory website or membership community around that. There’s room for a lot of innovation with the online directory business plan.
2. Choose the technology partner for your directory software
There are several different approaches here. You can, for example, hire a developer and a web designer to build your own directory script, yet the chances are they will most likely use an inexpensive off-the-shelf product that they charge you a lot of money to maintain. Worse yet, they disappear or get a bigger job and you’re left behind with a directory solution you can’t use. Another approach is that can go with a low-cost high-maintenance option like a WordPress directory theme and WordPress directory plug-in. They still require you have someone with technical knowledge on your payroll to maintain. Also, the difficulty to build a directory with WordPress is that WordPress was not built for directories, it was made for publishing blogs, so you’ll have to invest a lot of time patching various components together and it is not best-suited to scale for a powerful directory solution. With eDirectory you can create your professional directory website quickly and easily. The monthly plans make it affordable to start quickly with all the essential features for a successful directory website right where you need them so you can focus on the directory business plan rather than back-end maintenance.
3. Define your Top Level and Sub-Level Categories
A directory website is really just a large amount of information (business listings or member profiles) that is highly organized for visitors to search, browse, and connect. With top-levels and perhaps various sub-levels of categories for visitors to search through, online directory websites allow users to find what they are looking for quickly and easily. If you need general business categories, eDirectory will provide them free of charge. You can also add them manually. 25 top-level categories with an average 10 sub-levels for each is generally sufficient, yet with eDirectory you can go down to 5 sub-sub levels for a very granular search experience. Your members or business listing owners can also be charged to appear in more categories, which in essence creates more visibility and this impressions and conversion. This is another great way to build a “ladder” with your pricing levels to encourage the sales of your most premium membership level, by limiting the number of categories your directory website listing owners will appear in.
4. Create your Membership Levels or Pricing Plan options
Early on the name of the game is to get people joining your online community website, so a Free membership level is highly recommended. Free members add a ton of value early on as they will contribute content (although limited), provide invaluable feedback, share their listing to their social media, and may upgrade to a paid listing down the road if you really give them some quality attention from the beginning. With setting up the remainder of your pricing levels, make sure to have the top level get everything under the sun to really encourage purchase, even do some promotional discounts on the first 100 paid sign-ups with 20-50% off, perhaps even free banner ads for a month or two. With the pricing level(s) in the middle, make sure they get enough to warrant the price they’re paying for yet to limit or restrict the most valuable directory website features, so maybe they can only add 1 special “deal” to your deals engine for example. Do some testing knowing that nothing is set in stone and that you can adapt your directory website pricing and update your directory business plan as you learn and grow.
5. Create or import your first listings
If you have a list of business or members to import, that’s great! With the eDirectory.com directory solution all you need to do is use the import template and you’re ready to go. You can also add a few listings manually for businesses or members you hope will join. Start including several listings and gradually add more. You can start with a goal to include, for example, 10 listings per day. Once members join, encourage them to share their listings to social media to gain more visibility to your directory website. As your online community starts to grow and get noticed by people, they will come to you and create their own listings by themselves. Until you reach that point, you need to assert by yourself or hire someone to do it for you, if you plan to scrape a few public sites for example. In this other blog post, we shared a few other marketing ideas as well.
6. Create quality content
Publishing and curating high-quality content is an important factor to bring new and qualified visitors to your site. If you have a local directory, talk about what makes that local directory business unique and highlight its qualities. Think about what type of content would be useful to your readers and write it down, schedule based on priority, and get started with a content-creation schedule for your directory website that you are comfortable with, like 1-2 hours per week for example. You can also invite and encourage contributors and members to add content to your online community website. If you have an online directory website for specialized dentists for example, they usually will be happy to contribute valuable content to your directory solution so they can start to be seen as authority on that subject, showcase their practice, and help visitors get to know them a bit better before making the connection; all of which helps bring them more views and traffic.
7. Optimize and publicize
Once you start the process of quality content and attracting target customers, keep it going by consistently asking yourself these questions:
* How can I make my directory website so appealing that members will visit and want to join my online community and contribute content as a paying member? Take the lead! Build a directory website you would want to join. With our easy directory software at eDirectory, you can get started right away on adding all kinds of great content like blog posts, articles, industry or local events, even classified ads that can be used for all kinds of purposes like jobs, business opportunities, and even products to be showcased on your directory website.
* How can I make sure that the listings have enough depth to ensure a high utilization for directory website visitors? Listings with just title and phone number are less attractive and useful than listings with photos, videos, maps, deals, classifieds, and descriptions. Invite every new member to create content, talk about their mission/vision, and share a video about themselves and what they do.
* How can I monetize my directory? Online directory websites have many ways of generating revenue, which really adds to your directory business plan. The model is so successful because once you have a large captive audience, it creates many more opportunities to generate revenue like with membership dues every month or year, leads you sell to your members, affiliate links to other ecommerce products or services, banner ads you sell to publishers and members, sponsored social media posts, donations, and you can also connect a storefront to your online directory website with the new eDirectory Storefront MOD.
* What type of content will bring more visitors? There are always opportunities for content creation with a potential to bring a lot of visitors to your website. Find out who the other players in your industry are as far as direct and indirect competitors, complimentary service providers, industry publications, forums, portals, and even social media groups. Get inspired by what works well for others and even what may NOT work well for your brand or community (sometimes it makes things a lot easier to get started when you at least know what to focus on).
8. Include new features
Treat every new member and newsletter subscriber early on as GOLD! Ask them what they’d like to see available to them on your site as far as any new features or functionalities. Try to truly identify what your niche can be with this as well. You will learn this by making an effort to connect and ask questions. You may be surprised by what you learn and it could create new opportunities for your online directory website. As you start to grow the directory website builder in you, you might find it useful to add a Community Forum, or integrate with services like Infusionsoft or Salesforce, or perhaps connect an eDirectory storefront in the MOD Store. All these services can provide the perfect environment for grow your business.
These are a few tips to help you to create a directory website. Contact us if you have any question and we will make sure you have a dedicated account executive to answer all your important questions before getting started.
Take a Guided Tour of eDirectory
Explore edirectory with us, we’ll answer all your questions.